The Holy Trinity Church Dawley Website

About Us ... A brief history of HTD ... 

Holy Trinity Church, designed by Harvey Eginton of Worcester, replaced the old Norman church in 1845. It is of sandstone, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of a chancel with north vestry, aisled nave with west gallery, west tower, and south porch, which was converted into a baptistery in 1883.

Among the fittings, most of which were moved to St. Leonard's c. 1805 but later returned to Great Dawley, were the bells, a medieval silver paten remodelled c. 1582, and a chalice of 1746.

The old baptistry in the church has been converted, by the family of Percy Corbett (organist and choirmaster at the church for over sixty years) into the Millennium Chapel.

It is set in a large churchyard, which is now closed.  This Anglican church is in the very heart of Telford, has a traditional feel and a growing, warm and welcoming community. Holy Trinity reaches out into local sheltered housing schemes and schools, and has a thriving Junior Church.

The church is available for weddings, christenings and funerals as well as a wide range of other activities for all the highs and lows of life.  The church also has a bell tower and the bells are rung before each service and for weddings.

There is a lot of lay involvement: members of the congregation read at communion and family services and lead the intercessions; there are five chalice administrants, one of whom also takes home communions. A member of the church organises baptisms and three people help the clergy on the wedding desk, booking weddings. Some of the young people is also trained as a server.  The church tries to hold at least one fund raising event each month.

We are a member of the Central Telford Ecumenical Partnership which consists of a group of Anglican and Methodist Churches who work together in Telford.